3 Countries, 3 Whiskies, 1 Day — International Whisk(e)y Day
Raise your favorite glass on March 27 and sip on some of the best whiskies from around world. Whether you’re a traditional Scotch whisky drinker or are looking to explore something new like premium whisky from India or France, understanding the history about the countries distilling the spirit makes it an even more fulfilling experience.
- INDIA – Whiskies from India have been gaining popularity in the past few years and for good reason. With India having a predominantly warmer climate, the maturation process is much faster as compared to other countries like Scotland — some say 4x faster!
- The Indian Whisky To Try: Rampur Indian Single Malt Whisky (SRP: $70) knows there’s much more to the equation than age when it comes to creating a memorable expression. Nestled at the foothills of the Himalayas in the Indian city of Rampur, the spirit has a distinctive flavor profile replete with vanilla, honey, spices, and dried fruits. The spice is balanced but still present and representative of a premium-quality single malt whisky; to be savored neat or on the rocks.
- FRANCE – In the land of Cognac, whisky you ask? The French have actually been distilling whisky for centuries and consuming it too! French Whiskies are often characterized by notes replete of fruit-forward flavor.
- The French Whisky To Try: Bastille 1789 (SRP: $39.99) – Bright orange and amber in color, Bastille has intriguing aromas of orange marmalade, dried apricot, spice cake, pineapple blossoms and suede with a vibrant, dry-yet-fruity medium-to-full body and a long accented finish. A remarkably fruity, exotic and enigmatic whisky that will make for a fabulous Old-Fashioned.
- SCOTLAND – Not much needs to be said about Scotch whisky. As one of the most popular categories in the world, some scotches are flavored heavily by peat and smoke while others are light and fruity.
- The Scotch Whisky To Try: The Famous Grouse (SRP: $29.99) is ranked number one by volume in Scotland for a reason. All at an affordable price, Famous Grouse offers candied fruits and buttery shortbread on the nose, with flavors of cinnamon and ginger, dried fruits and oak. Stir it in a Hot Toddy or enjoy it on the rocks, this whiskey will be your go-to after a long day, and a staple of bartenders around the world.